By Russell Blackford
50 Voices of Disbelief: Why we're Atheists presents a set of unique essays drawn from a global staff of fashionable voices within the fields of academia, technological know-how, literature, media and politics who supply rigorously thought of statements of why they're atheists.
- Features a very foreign solid of members, starting from public intellectuals corresponding to Peter Singer, Susan Blackmore, and A.C. Grayling, novelists, corresponding to Joe Haldeman, and heavyweight philosophers of faith, together with Graham Oppy and Michael Tooley
- Contributions diversity from rigorous philosophical arguments to hugely own, even whimsical, debts of ways every one of those impressive thinkers have come to reject faith of their lives
- Likely to have large charm given the present public fascination with non secular matters and the reception of such books as The God Delusion and The finish of Faith
Read or Download 50 Voices of Disbelief. Why We Are Atheists PDF
Best religious studies books
There was a lot fresh curiosity within the examine of faith from the viewpoint of Darwinian evolution. The Biology of non secular habit: The Evolutionary Origins of religion and faith deals a extensive assessment of the subject, written by means of the world over well-known specialists. as well as its fundamental specialize in non secular habit, the ebook addresses different very important facets of faith, resembling values, ideals, and feelings as they have an effect on habit.
This quantity positions itself at the innovative of 2 fields in psychology that take pleasure in swiftly expanding consciousness: either the examine of human lives and a few middle domain names of such lives as faith and spirituality are excessive at the schedule of present study and instructing. Biographies and autobiographies are being approached in new methods and became primary to the examine of human lives as an item of analysis and a well-liked technique for acquiring targeted info approximately subjective human reviews.
''Serious social scientists who care approximately making experience of the area can now not forget about the truth that non secular ideals and practices are a big a part of this global. Nor can students declare to appreciate faith by means of including a number of variables to their versions, anymore than they can comprehend race, gender, or social classification this fashion.
This e-book isn't just for atheists yet for antitheists—for those that celebrated the writing of Christopher Hitchens and pass over his voice Making the provocative statement that the total company of geared up faith is something for which the realm and our species may were higher with no, Oh, Your God!
- Practicing Gnosis: Ritual, Magic, Theurgy and Liturgy in Nag Hammadi, Manichaean and Other Ancient Literature. Essays in Honor of Birger A. Pearson
- Finding Faith: The Spiritual Quest of the Post-Boomer Generation
- Leisure: The Basis of Culture
- Primary School Assemblies for Religious Festivals
- The Catholic university and the faith
- The Theology and Philosophy of Eliade: A Search for the Centre
Extra resources for 50 Voices of Disbelief. Why We Are Atheists
Hearing the screams upstairs only made me laugh, and I created different séance tricks each week. Sometimes I threw pebbles at the window. On other occasions I would go to the basement to pound the floor of the living-room with a broom handle. ” Reading Matthew 19:26 on that particular Sunday caused me to remember why I found belief in God so ridiculous. When I slammed the Bible shut, I was sitting in a church pew with my high school friend Hopie. Her stepfather, Dr Leath, was the Pastor of Truett Baptist Church in Long Beach, California.
Hopie and I developed the scheme because I wanted to help her to be free of the silly religious dancing restraint. I loved to dance and could not fathom anyone saying that expressive movement of the body is immoral and gasp! dangerous pre-sexual behavior. Hopie was a good dancer too and she was so deserving of exercising her freedom of expression. Attending Truett Baptist Church also helped me fulfill my desire to learn more about religious beliefs. As an adolescent, I sought answers to unanswerable questions.
I loved our discussions. ” He admitted, at that time, that he also identified himself as an atheist. I felt I was in good company. Uncle Floyd died in his sleep when I was 17. We never had the chance to discuss one very important book he had given me, Bertrand Russell’s Why I Am Not a Christian. Each page of that book expressed all my thoughts. It was as if Russell had extracted words out of my brain, organized them, and placed them on a page. Russell’s eloquent way of saying exactly what I had concluded reinforced in me the determination to be proud of my atheist philosophy.